Thursday, January 6, 2011

I'm Not Convinced, Orvis

I need to start this post with a disclaimer. We at TTL are not Orvis haters. You'll never see us refer to Orvis as Whorvis, even if it is a little funny. Considering that they have been in operation since 1856, I'd say they are doing something right.

That being said, what are you thinking, Orvis? Maybe it is just my prejudice against bootfoot waders, but the new Silver Label Bogs Bootfoot don't seem destined to be a top seller. Now, I'll admit that the convenience of just slipping on waders and boots all at once is probably appealing to some, but it just doesn't do it for me.

My biggest problem with these waders is the price. At $395, they are $197 more expensive than the Silver Label Classic Wader, which, according to Orvis, are identical in construction and appearance with the exception of the feet. That extra $197 buys you an overpriced pair of Wellies glued to the bottom of your waders.

If the proposed added warmth of the bootfoot is luring you in, I'd recommend revisiting your foot warmth strategies with stockingfoot waders. In fact, one of our upcoming Tip of the Week articles will focus on exactly that.

I'm sure these new waders will be exactly what some of you are looking for. If so, scoop 'em up and enjoy. For my money, however, I think there are better options out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment